Friday, March 29, 2013

The Last Words of Jesus Revisited

Months ago, I had a discussion with a friend about the topic of Jesus last words on the cross and he brought up some interesting points.  However I can't remember who I was talking with, so if you read this post and say, "Hey that was me!", please let me know so that I can give you credit where credit is due.

Tonight I'm not going to tell any exciting stories from camp or go into detail about how a major furniture retailer could be a model for the modern church.  Tonight, on this Good Friday, I'd like you to consider something about Jesus' last words that He said while on the cross.  When I read His words, "It is finished" I always thought that it meant that forgiveness was finally here.  

But does it?

What was finished?  He wasn't dead (or He wouldn't have been talking).  So His life wasn't quite finished.  Were we forgiven already?  Then why did he have to die and rise again?  No, that can't be it.

I'd like to put forth the idea that Jesus was referring to the Father turning his back on Him.  The process would seem to have begun when Jesus cries out, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me!" and that the process ends when he says, "It is finished."

This is important, because as the Father turns his face away, Jesus feels the pain of living without the Father.  He understands the mortal condition in a new way.  Growing up, my mother always described Hell as not so much the fire and brimstone (though that too), but as a place with the absence of God.  Jesus experienced Hell on that cross when His Father looked away.  He experienced that Hell so that we don't have to experience that Hell for eternity.

Think about this as we head into this Easter weekend.  Be blessed by Jesus' sacrifice.  Glorify the Father for his boundless forgiveness.  And pray that the Holy Spirit will fill you with Joy to the point of overflowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment