Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A Jack of All Trades...

But master of none.

Or so the saying goes.

Last week I met up with Jon Frank, Shiloh's director, who wanted to know what my strengths were and to try to decide exactly where I would fit and what my duties would include at the camp.  Jon had mentioned that he wanted to speak to me about this several weeks ago and our schedules just hadn't lined up, but it had given me a long time to really think about the question.

In my head I started listing off some of the things that I have accomplished or done in my life:

I have been teaching for at least 10 years.
I know computers (hardware and software).
I have experience working with food.
I have knowledge about basic construction and tools.
I know how to take care of a home.
I've been a salesman.
I am a musician.
I'm well read in the Bible and other books.
I am a trained archery instructor.

...and the list went on and on in my head.  I realized that I can do just about anything that he needs me to do.  But I'm not really an expert in any of these fields.  This realization frustrated me.  The more I thought about it, the more it bothered me... the more the thought began to haunt me.  I began to question who I was.

Why can't I just pick one thing and stick with it?  Do I spread myself too thin?  Am I doing something wrong?  Is this why I had trouble finding work in the camping world?  Should I work on changing this aspect of my life?

After a long while of self examination and prayer I realized something important.  It is something that I hope you all realize about yourself at some point too.  God made me this way for a reason!

God designed me, not to be spread thin, not to focus in on a niche, not to change who I am, but to be versatile.  God created me to be moldable.  When you are missing a puzzle piece, I can fill the gap, regardless of the pieces shape.  Wow!  What an honor God has placed upon me!

So as I sat down with Jon, he asked me what my strengths were.  I told him that my greatest strength is my versatility.  I really am good at a lot of things.  I admitted that I might not be an expert at all of them, but God has blessed me with a passion for learning new things and with a heart that says, "Where you send me, I will go."

I realized that I can be just as useful running the rock climbing wall at camp as I could be scrubbing a toilet bowl.  Jon thanked me for my willing heart to serve wherever I was needed, and after some discussion, we decided that I was most needed working in the office (while still serving the retreat groups on the challenge course when needed).  I will be helping to book retreats and advertise;  all while still being available to serve wherever God calls and wherever else I may be needed.

I hope that each of you reading this will take the time to sit and think through your strengths and weaknesses.  God has created you the way you are for a reason.  He has a plan for you and your life.  The world doesn't have much of a place for a man without a niche.  But, God has used lesser men to do far greater things.  My humble prayer is that he would continue to use me for His glory.

-Tim

1 comment:

  1. Dear son - you really blessed me with this post. In this respect you SO remind me of your Opa. Opa could fix just about anything. He never felt like he wasn't "home" because home was wherever he and Oma were at the time. He was the first to offer to mow the church lawn, paint the youth building, clear leaves from a neighbor's yard or build a few shelves for someone who needed them. He truly had a servant's heart - as do you. God always blesses the willing heart. I know Opa would be proud of you - as are your dad & I.

    ReplyDelete